'2016: Obama's America' producer says CNN rejected ad
Ubiquitous
2012-08-29 09:47:12 UTC
by James Hibberd

UPDATE: CNN has received a new 2016: Obama’s America ad which the network
has approved for air, a spokesperson said. The promo is a different cut
than the previous disputed version. More to come…

PREVIOUS: The producer of the highest-grossing conservative documentary
of all time claims CNN rejected the film’s ad because it was “too
political.”

John Sullivan, executive producer and co-director of the breakout
documentary 2016: Obama’s America, says the film’s ad has run on Fox
News, MSNBC, Discovery Channel, A&E and other networks, but that it was
turned away by CNN. “They rejected our ad, actually,” Sullivan told
EW.com. “A really weird situation. That was really funny. They said it
was ‘too political,’ which is very odd because we have no affiliation
with any political party of any sort, or PAC, or anything of that
nature.”

CNN (which, like EW, is owned by Time Warner) confirms the filmmakers
submitted the ad, but denies the commercial was “rejected.” “CNN did not
reject the ad,” a network spokesperson said. “We asked them to explain
why they believe the ad is not subject to political advertising
disclosure requirements, and we did not hear back from them with any
explanation.”

The network’s concern was a Federal Election Commission rule that states
any telecast advocating for the election or defeat of a federal candidate
must have its funding source revealed in a disclaimer notice (“Paid for
by…”). Such notices are standard on political ads, yet might be
unprecedented for a popular theatrical film. An MSNBC spokesperson said
the commercial ran without a disclaimer, like a regular movie ad. “The ad
was approved through NBC News standards and practices before air,” an
MSNBC spokesperson said.

Sullivan says his $2.5 million production, which has earned $9.4 million
since its debut seven weeks ago, was financed by a “a broad base of
investors,” including “business Democrats and Republicans,” and that no
corporation funded the film. “There’s no grand investor conspiracy here,”
Sullivan says.

Sullivan hopes that a second 2016: Obama’s America ad that’s being
submitted to media outlets will be approved by CNN, though sources say
the news network hasn’t received it yet. “Hopefully we’ll be up on CNN
next week,” Sullivan says. “They haven’t approved it yet. So, if
anything, they’re ‘too political,’ is what I would say.”

This isn’t the first time a political documentary polemic during an
election year has a prompted debate over whether its commercials qualify
as political ads. Michael Moore’s 2004 film Fahrenheit 9/11 faced similar
concerns. Obama’s America makes an argument against reelecting the
president, though has come under fire by fact checkers. — Grady Smith
contributed to this report

--
"Re-electing Obama is like backing The Titanic up and hitting the iceberg
a second time."
Fox News
2012-08-29 21:46:42 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
I love how you idiots keep moaning about Obama while all the while
blocking everything he tries to do in Congress. Most all of these moron
Tea Party assholes are too STUPID to realize that they are voting
against their own interests just because they are racist bigots. The
idea that Romney has next to no foreign policy experience except to hide
millions of dollars in cash that he is trying to screw the USA out of
having to help us, is just disgusting. An now he wants to screw us even
more and get down to a 0% - 1% tax rate should be illegal.
emoneyjoe
Sounds like you want 4 more years...... of stagnation.
Ubiquitous
2012-08-30 08:08:12 UTC
Post by emoneyjoe
Post by Fox News
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]

You're quite the optimist!
--
"Re-electing Obama is like backing The Titanic up and hitting the iceberg a second
time."
emoneyjoe
2012-08-30 13:41:57 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by emoneyjoe
Post by Fox News
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
What, me worry? :-)

The economy has big problems, but the
federal government has bigger problems,
with not enough tax revenue, less FICA,
huge commitments, and an unrelenting
trade deficit.

I thought maybe the hope and change
4 years ago would get people cooperating,
it didn't.
So the only hope for change now seems
to be another leader who will try to get
everybody working together.

But just maybe. Government must
stop growing and learn to function with
the current economic conditions.
cloud dreamer
2012-08-30 13:47:41 UTC
Post by emoneyjoe
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by emoneyjoe
Post by Fox News
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
You mean a white leader??? Why don't you whine about the Republicans in
Congress who've done everything humanly possible to stop anything Obama
tries to do. He's willing the compromise. They are not.

It's disgraceful how they work against the better interest of their
constituents but the constituents are too stupid to see that. Too
blinded by ideology to see common sense.

And it's destroying your nation.

..
--
We must change the way we live
Or the climate will do it for us
Dano
2012-08-30 15:12:00 UTC
Post by emoneyjoe
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by emoneyjoe
Post by Fox News
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]

Well we'll see if that's true or not. We're very divided. Yes. But the
problems are real. They aren't (and WON'T be) easily solved. I think
you're being unfair in bringing the racial element into this...at least over
the last comment from the previous poster. Certainly there are those who
would never go along with anything presented and promoted by this president.
A goodly number of those are indeed racists. But Obama has definitely made
his own share of mistakes. He is still sticking with the Generals on the
"war" in Afghanistan. We should essentially be out of there by now. I'm
also bothered by things like war by remote control...the drone air force we
are using to kill by remote control. The killing of innocents that goes
with that is reprehensible. There are other questions about civil liberties
in the continuing "war on terror"...by whatever name you choose to call it.

The fight to lower health care costs also should not begin and end with
"Obamacare" which does not go nearly far enough in that pursuit. This is
really mainly placating and aiding the insurance industry which is at the
heart of the problem IMO. In fact...Obama has been WAY too chummy with the
financial geniuses who got us to where we are economically...starting with
the continued presence of Timmy Geithner.

But without question to me, Obama remains the better...ONLY option...this
coming November. We don't even KNOW what Romney would do. But I'm sure it
won't benefit anyone but the wealthiest folks in this country.
emoneyjoe
2012-08-30 18:21:20 UTC
Post by cloud dreamer
Post by emoneyjoe
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by emoneyjoe
Post by Fox News
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
:-) :-) You fence walkers are funny, you
point out big issues, and instead of applying
the brakes or turning the wheel, you say full
speed ahead, like in "Thelma and Louise".

emoneyjoe
2012-08-30 18:05:19 UTC
On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 11:17:41 -0230, cloud dreamer
Post by cloud dreamer
Post by emoneyjoe
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by emoneyjoe
Post by Fox News
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
You mean a white leader???
If I would have meant a white leader, I would
have said so (you are obviously a biased moron).
Post by cloud dreamer
Why don't you whine about the Republicans in
Congress who've done everything humanly possible to stop anything Obama
tries to do.
Does the above look like I am whining about
anybody in particular?
The nation is screwed royally if federal borrowing
isn't reduced drastically, I really don't care how that
is done, if you could find all I have written in the last
year it would be obvious that I think this president
should have created the emoney bits on computers
to reduce borrowing without cutting spending besides
just cutting waste.

Not everybody is fixated about personalities
like you.
Post by cloud dreamer
He's willing the compromise. They are not.
Maybe they feel he had his chance.
Post by cloud dreamer
It's disgraceful how they work against the better interest of their
constituents but the constituents are too stupid to see that. Too
blinded by ideology to see common sense.
That is the same BS that yogurt spreads, not
all elected officials vote to get their constituents
the biggest tit.
Post by cloud dreamer
And it's destroying your nation.
The only issue I see as a problem at the
moment is the borrowing, and that could stop
tomorrow with the stroke of a pen, this nation
has never been in a downward spiral like now.

Government is supposed to function with
no chance of failure. Individuals can fail,
and corporations can fail, but governments
should never fail.

Why would a president even want to
continue with such a dismal situation going
on, surely he doesn't need the salary.

Why do you want to make this a personal
thing, do you know anybody that is doing
really well now?

I frankly don't think there is much chance
of an upswing in the economy without major
new products and services that a lot of
people will want, but I feel unless this leader
can turn things around in the next 60 days,
somebody else should be given a chance,
I don't care who as long as it isn't a woman.
cloud dreamer

Dennis M
2012-08-30 21:33:46 UTC
Post by emoneyjoe
Sounds like you want 4 more years...... of stagnation.
After 8 years of reckless warmongering and irresponsible top bracket
tax-cutting which almost destroyed the country and now the Republicans
want round 2?

Yeah, I want 4 more years of stagnation.
emoneyjoe
2012-08-30 23:26:58 UTC
Post by Dennis M
Post by emoneyjoe
Sounds like you want 4 more years...... of stagnation.
After 8 years of reckless warmongering and irresponsible top bracket
tax-cutting which almost destroyed the country and now the Republicans
want round 2?
Yeah, I want 4 more years of stagnation.
Ok, and I won't even try to cancel your vote
by voting opposite.
trotsky
2012-08-31 10:58:25 UTC
Post by Dennis M
Post by emoneyjoe
Sounds like you want 4 more years...... of stagnation.
After 8 years of reckless warmongering and irresponsible top bracket
tax-cutting which almost destroyed the country and now the Republicans
want round 2?
Yeah, I want 4 more years of stagnation.
Infinitely preferable to the Greater Depression.

Ubiquitous
2012-08-30 02:08:27 UTC
Post by Fox News
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
I love how you idiots
Ad hominem noted. Get back to us when you have a real argument to make.

--
"Admittedly, conservatives give as good as they get. The difference
between us and [leftists] is that we can argue as well as inveigh.